Our position on working with the pharmaceutical sector
The purpose of this policy is to provide clear principles and guidance about how we work with pharmaceutical companies.
Such partnerships should enable us to achieve the charity’s mission without compromising our integrity. It ensures our work with pharmaceutical firms does not affect our ability to offer independent and unbiased patient information, or influence our campaigning, research or fundraising activities.
Bloodwise recognises that working with pharmaceutical companies that manufacture and market drugs and treatments gives Bloodwise important knowledge and expertise. Such companies are also willing to sponsor and fund certain activities undertaken by Bloodwise.
Bloodwise will adhere to the following principles when entering into partnerships with pharmaceutical firms and ensures that all partnerships are consistent with our organisational aims.
These are as follows:
- All partnerships will be based on the principles of integrity and openness and will bring benefit to people affected by blood cancer through funding and/or through supporting Bloodwise to achieve its mission and strategic aims.
- All partnership agreements between pharmaceutical companies and Bloodwise will be signed by the Director of Fundraising & Marketing (or Deputy Director of Partnerships & Philanthropy in the case of absence) on behalf of the Executive Team, taking advice from the Director of Research, Policy & Support and the Executive Team where appropriate, for example where the funding is outside of the planned budget.
- Any partnership entered into will not compromise the independent status of Bloodwise.
- We will ensure that our editorial independence is maintained so that we are free to comment both positively and negatively about pharmaceutical companies and their products.
- Editorial decisions about the blood cancer information produced by Bloodwise will not be influenced by the acceptance of funding or support from pharmaceutical companies. All information will be based on the latest evidence and informed by healthcare professionals and people affected by blood cancer.
- Bloodwise welcomes opportunities to raise funds and awareness through cause related marketing and sponsorship. We recognise that individuals who work for pharmaceutical companies may wish to fundraise for Bloodwise. As above, any such fundraising will not influence our advocacy work or information provided to people living with blood cancer.
- Bloodwise will work with members of the pharmaceutical industry to share knowledge and expertise. This may involve the participation in pharmaceutical industry organised events such as private or public meetings, training events, advisory board meetings and market research events.
- There may be occasions where we will campaign for equitable access to a particular treatment. Bloodwise will not accept funding from a pharmaceutical company where promotion of a specific drug is required or demanded by the company (either explicitly or implicitly).
- Any funding or joint activity must be compliant with the conditions of the ABPI Code of Practice for the Pharmaceutical Industry. Where a company is not a member of the ABPI we will require written assurances that any partnership work or support will be conducted to the ABPI Code of Practice.
- We will declare all financial partnerships with pharmaceutical companies on our website, including the total amount received from these companies. The total amount we receive will not exceed 10% of our income. If our income would exceed 10% by agreeing to additional funding from a company or companies, then such a decision would require specific approval from the Chief Executive and the Board of Trustees.
Responsible Director: Director of Research, Policy and Support
Postholder responsible for document: Head of Policy & Campaigns
Review date: Two years from October 2019