We're here for you if you want to talk

0808 2080 888

[email protected]

Practical and emotional support

We're here for you if you want to talk

0808 2080 888

[email protected]

Practical support if you're at high risk or shielding

This page explains how to get support with food, medicine, work and money.

On 1 August 2020, the governments of England, Scotland and Northern Ireland paused shielding for adults and children who are clinically extremely vulnerable. In Wales, shielding is likely to be paused on 16 August.

The pausing of shielding measures means that some practical support that was previously available has been withdrawn. However, there is still help available if your healthcare team advises you to continue taking extra precautions, or if you decide to take extra precautions to protect yourself or someone else in your household.

The shielding patient list

The shielding patient list is the list of people who are considered to be clinically extremely vulnerable and therefore at higher risk of serious complications if they get coronavirus. Being on this list has been the main way to qualify for help since the coronavirus outbreak started in the UK. So what happens now that shielding is being paused in the UK?

The government has told us that if you’re newly diagnosed with blood cancer, or your situation changes and your healthcare team think you’re at high risk, your name can still be added to the shielding patient list. Similarly, if you think you should be on the shielding list but still haven't had a letter, speak to your healthcare team, as they will be able to add you to the list if necessary.

Being on the shielding list is important because it means if shielding guidelines are reintroduced, or if there’s a lockdown in your local area, you will be able to get support with things like food and medicine deliveries.

Wales - shielding still supported

In Wales, the national government is continuing to support shielding for people who are clinically extremely vulnerable, although it’s expected that this will change on 16 August if the number of coronavirus cases continues to fall.

If you’re shielding in Wales, you shouldn’t go out to work. You should be supported to work from home if possible.

Government support will also continue until shielding is paused. This support includes:

You can find out more about government support for those shielding in Wales.

You can also contact Third Sector Wales for practical support.

We’ll update this information when we have confirmation of any further changes in Wales.

Food deliveries

Government food packages for people on the shielding patient list have stopped in England, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

After shielding is paused, you should still be able to get priority food deliveries from supermarkets:

  • If you registered for government support with food deliveries on or before 17 July, you will continue to get priority supermarket slots for home delivery.
  • If you’ve been added to the shielding patient list after government support ended, most supermarkets will give you priority delivery slots if the national advice to shield comes back, or if there’s a lockdown in your local area.
  • Some supermarkets are offering priority delivery slots to people who were added to the shielding list after 17 July. Contact the supermarket directly or get in touch with your local authority.
  • Some supermarkets are offering vulnerable people next day delivery of a box of essential food and cleaning supplies. Check supermarket websites for details.
  • Depending on which part of the UK you live in, volunteer groups may also be able to support you with food deliveries. Contact your local authority or search online for local support.

If you feel comfortable about going shopping again, then think about going at less busy times, if you can. Sometimes supermarkets publish information on peak and quiet times in their stores. They also have information on the steps they are taking to protect shoppers.

Supermarket contact details

Here are the phone numbers we know about to call (make sure you create an online account with the supermarket first):

  • Asda – call 0800 0281 966 for priority online deliveries
  • Morrisons – call 0345 611 6111 for their doorstep delivery service (essential items)
  • Sainsbury’s – call 0800 052 5500 for priority online deliveries
  • Tesco – call 0800 917 7359 for priority online deliveries

Other supermarkets are also prioritising vulnerable customers - check individual websites for more information.

You can see the latest updates on what all supermarkets are doing on this live page from the British Retail Consortium.

Getting medicines

Here are some ways to get the medicines you need:

  • Many GPs let you request repeat prescriptions via email, phone or their website. Contact your GP to find out the easiest way for you.
  • Contact your pharmacy if you need a volunteer to deliver your medication to you.
  • In England, register for help from the NHS Volunteer Responders, who can deliver food and medication. Carers can also apply on behalf of someone else, or for support for themselves to fulfil their caring role.
  • In Wales, Third Sector Wales will help you get in touch with local voluntary organisations who are offering help.
  • If you need urgent support, contact your local authority and tell them your situation.

Key contacts for government and local authority support

If you are vulnerable and need help, here are the key ways to find out about support:

  • In all four nations of the UK, enter your postcode here and you’ll be linked to your local authority’s website with details of the support they are offering.
  • In Scotland, the national COVID-19 helpline is open and will put you in contact with your local authority: call free on 0800 111 4000, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.
  • Scotland also has an SMS Shielding Service which sends information and updates on your risk of being exposed to coronavirus in your area via text.
  • In Northern Ireland you can call the free COVID-19 community helpline on 0808 802 0020, email [email protected] or text ACTION to 81025.

Support from voluntary organisations

  • In England, you can register for help from the NHS Volunteer Responders.
  • In Wales, you can contact Third Sector Wales for help from local voluntary organisations.
  • There are local groups and charities offering support to anyone who needs it - contact your local authority to find out what's available or search online.



In Wales, shielding is continuing until 16 August, and the following is available to support you:

  • Working from home - government guidance states that if you are shielding, you should not go to work outside your home. Your employer should support you to work from home wherever possible.
  • The furlough scheme - your employer can place you on furlough if you are shielding, as long as you've been on furlough at some point before 10 June.
  • Statutory Sick Pay - if you’re in work but can’t work from home, and your employer hasn't placed you on furlough, then as someone shielding, you're eligible for Statutory Sick Pay, which is £95.85 per week.

Read more about your rights at work and financial support.

England, Scotland and Northern Ireland

Now that shielding is paused in England, Scotland and Northern Ireland, financial support schemes for workers who were shielding have also been paused:

  • You can no longer be on furlough on the basis that you’re clinically extremely vulnerable. You can still furlough for other reasons allowed by the furlough scheme though. If you've been on furlough before, your employer may be happy to put you on furlough again, so it’s worth asking.
  • You can no longer claim Statutory Sick Pay if you are off work because you are clinically extremely vulnerable. You can still get statutory sick pay for the usual reasons or if you’re self-isolating due to coronavirus symptoms.

However, government guidance does say that from 1st August:

  • Employers should still make every effort to allow you to work from home - talk to your employer as soon as possible about how you can do this from 1 August.

You should only go to work if:

  • you cannot work from home
  • and your workplace is COVID-safe.

Read more about your rights at work, what COVID-safe means, tips for talking to your employer, and where to get expert advice.

If you are self-employed, you can still get support from the Self-Employment Income Support Scheme. You can also find out more about other financial support.


If you are unemployed, there are various benefits available in the UK, such as Universal Credit, Employment and Support Allowance and Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

To find out more about benefits you may be entitled to, ask your GP, clinical nurse specialist or doctor. You can also contact Citizens Advice on 0344 411 1444 or Macmillan Cancer Support on 0808 808 00 00.

There are many other ways you can save money:

  • You can get support with health-related costs (such as travel costs and prescriptions).
  • You may be able to access financial support from charities.
  • It may be possible to agree adjustments to payment schedules with energy suppliers or mortgage lenders.

See our page on Money and work for more about all of these options.